Online workshop for cleaning up digital data to reduce digital carbon footprint, 2020
Workshop ‘Data Cleansing Day’ is an activity for organizing and emptying data such as documents, photos, and videos stacked and replicated(backed-up) in the personal computer, external hard drive, or cloud storage.
Through this activity, we look back at the relationship between the vast amount of digital data we produce, save, replicate, and the physical digital infrastructures constructed to store what we make. The workshop aims not only to clean up our mind distracted by unorganized piled up files but also to get a clean emptied storage space. Furthermore, it is expected to contribute to producing much smaller data carbon footprints due to the reduced data storage.
- The workshop runs for 1 hour each for 2 days.
- Participants can apply for the desired round.
- The workshop is held online, and attendees participate from their homes via the Zoom(online meeting platform).
- An invitation link to enter the workshop will be sent to participants' e-mail on the day of the workshop.
- After the workshop, participants will receive ‘the 1st Data Cleansing Day’ certificate from artist Mina.
What to prepare?
- data storage(cloud drive/usb/external hard drive/document folders in your pc) that needs to be cleaned up
- strong internet connection
- install Zoom on your mobile/desktop device, if you use it for the first time
- wear comfortable clothes and prepare a cup of tea to make you relax
This workshop is designed as a part of the project off-technology R&D no.2 Cloud Island, which is a participated artistic research of RE:Discovery by NP3 & Minerva Art Academy, supported by Noordenaars, We The North and Mondriaan Fonds.
- workshop Data Cleansing Day, via Zoom, NP3, Groningen, Netherlands, 03-04.10.2020